Saturday, May 10, 2014

Moku pe'a Report

0600 position 2-22S 158-42W. Day's run 149 miles

At 0600 yesterday morning King Neptune came alongside riding on the back
of a dolphin. "What? Moku pe'a again? Can't you guys just pick a
hemisphere and stay there?" yelled His Royal Highness. And "What are you
doing showing up at this ungodly hour? I haven't had my coffee yet!"

"Sorry Your Majesty", I called back. "We live up North, but like to visit
your islands to the South. We beg your pardon for the intrusion into your
realm. There's also some confusion here time-wise. We're not even sure
what day it is anymore."

"That's OK", the Sea King barked, "The Moku pe'a is a fine ship and she is
welcome here, but you keep bringing these damn pollywogs along, and they
are seriously messing with my vibe! By the way, it's Friday."

"A thousand pardons, my King", I replied. "Some aboard may not have
crossed the equator before, but only the finest seaman and shipmates sail
on this vessel and they are worthy souls."

"Hah! We'll see about that", exclaimed the Sovereign of the Seas as he
deftly leapt aboard. "Bring me the lowly scum!"

Rocky, to his credit, was not the least bit intimidated by the crusty old
bastard who had just come aboard, and he called out, "It is I that you
seek."

"I know that! I know everything! I'm King of the bloody sea, but what I
want to know is why I should allow a guy named 'Rocky' unfettered access
to my Kingdom? What kind of a name is 'Rocky' anyway? Do you see any
rocks out here?"

"Rocky is my nickname," he replied with confidence, "and it is a name of
strength. Rocks are hard, sailors fear them, and who doesn't like their
cocktails 'on the rocks'?"

"Well I suppose so" said the Oracle of the Oceans, his demeanor softening.
"If Noodle will vouch for you then I suppose you are OK. Let it be known
to all that Rocky Young is now a shellback and all in my realm shall
welcome him! Let this certificate be evidence of this fact", and he
handed Rocky a document attesting to his new status.

With business concluded, the Master of the Maritime, mumbling something
about needing to hurry so he wouldn't miss a rerun of Gilligan's Island,
leapt back aboard his dolphin and disappeared below the waves.

"Golly Rocky", I exclaimed, "You got off easy. He didn't throw food on
you or anything. Maybe it's all the recent litigation on hazing. Do you
suppose they have lawyers out here?"

"Could be", said a visibly pleased Rocky because he hadn't been abused at
all by the Deity of the Depths. I could see he was thinking about where
to hang the certificate on his 'I love me' wall at home and he added
"Since it IS Friday again, I think I'll just take the day off."

"Wow," I thought to myself, "Rocky sure is going native…"

About 0900 Rocky was on watch (he decided not to take the day off) and a
school of dolphin spent about fifteen minutes entertaining him.
Coincidence?

Later in the day when the sun was over the yard arm, Rocky and I broke out
the equator celebration goodies that our neighbor Hiromi had given us. We
toasted King Neptune, our lovely wives, the Mighty Moku pe'a, and spilled
a drop into the sea in honour of my hero, mentor, shipmate and father, Bob
Leary, and Fred Grantham, Hiromi's husband.

2 comments: