Friday, September 5, 2014

5 September - Degrees of Difference

0600 position 18-04S 149-01W. 15 miles off of Tahiti Iti.

What a difference a few degrees of latitude make. We are now truly in the tropics. It is warm. I am comfortable. I feel
like going swimming. A few days and a few degrees further south in Raivavae I was cold. It looked like there might have
been good snorkeling there, but I wasn't about to get in. This is more my style.

Yesterday was more of the same, broad reaching under a triple reefed main rolling the jib in and out to maintain pace to get
us to Tahiti Iti just after sunrise this morning. The wind was up in the high teens, a bit windier than the day before, but
it was still comfortable sailing with just a little water on deck.

We've sighted no other vessels on this passage, and nothing in the water except a type of seaweed that we typically see on
coral reefs. It must have broken free from the Tuamotu reefs that are upcurrent and drifted here.

We will be arriving at Aiurua pass at about 9AM. The sun should be high enough by then for a safe entrance. We plan to
anchor in the lee of a motu on the fringing reef for the day and then probably off of the Aiurua River mouth for the
evening.

Both Matt and I are glad that regular night watches are over for a few months. I enjoy puttering and writing on my night
watch, but I like sleeping more.

Lori has confirmed that she will be joining me in Papeete the day Matt departs. Hurrah!

1 comment: