Thursday, November 20, 2014

20 November - Safely Home


Moku pe'a charged across the Molokai Channel wing and wing with a double reefed mainsail and triple reefed jib. We jybed onto port tack just outside of Moku Manu, sailed into the Sampan Channel, and at 135PM pulled into the bulkhead at KYC.

A bunch of friends were waiting for us and helped celebrate our successful cruise. It was great to see everybody again after being gone for seven months! Many thanks to Kim Ickler and Georgia Schmidt for the beautiful boat lei, Bo Wheeler for the great food, and Robin Kudlich for the beer and champagne. The party lasted until well after dark. The pitcher of mai tais that I was handed upon stepping ashore clouds my memory a bit, but I woke up at home this morning in one piece, and went down to the club to find the Mighty Moku pe'a resting calmly at the bulkhead.

I couldn't be prouder of my eighteen year old vessel. Other than our headstay and battery problem on the first leg, we had zero gear issues. Moku pe'a performed flawlessly and brought us safely home. I had been thinking before the trip that perhaps Moku pe'a wasn't the best boat for a voyage like this, but I was wrong. She was perfect.

I am still shocked by how lucky we were with both weather and equipment. It makes me wonder if perhaps my Dad was out there watching out for us.

I was also lucky enough to be able to share the experience with great shipmates. Rocky Young, Matt Dyer, and Tony Hoff were ideal voyage partners, and it was wonderful to share the interisland experience with Lori Lloyd, Vicki Dyer, Dave Schaefer, and Kendra Leary.

I'll probably have one or two more posts. I still plan to look over my log and do some summarizing for the trip, but I'm not sure when that will occur.

Many thanks to you all for following along and sharing the experience with me.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome home, Cheery Bill Leary and the oh, so mighty Moku pe'a! Gary and I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip all along the way. Thank you very much for sharing your adventure with all of us! Now go have a cheesburger!

    ReplyDelete