Saturday, October 15, 2016

15 October - Glass Off

1200 position 23 27S 177 04E. Days run 137 miles.

I have never seen the water as flat as it has been so far on this passage. It feels like we are out in Kaneohe Bay on a calm day. Jambalaya's narrow beam and large sail plan makes her a great light air boat, and we are able to sail 5 knots in 6 knots of wind on a reach. We spent most of the night reaching along in that much wind under a nearly full moon. But the wind kept backing until it was out of the north. We need to reach to keep the speed up, which forced us to head southeast, 60 degrees off our desired course. That doesn't get us where we want to go, so we rolled up the jib at 4AM and have been powering ever since.

It was my turn to cook, so it was lemon, butter, caper mahi for dinner last night with a nice salad John made. Thumbs up from the crew.

The temperature is already dropping. I switched from my light sweatshirt to my hoodie during the first night, and I put on sweatpants as well last night. I'm using a blanket in bed now too.

We took advantage of a level boat this morning to lubricate a malfunctioning winch and epoxy in some of the dodger snap posts that had come out of the hatch cover. We are ready now for heavier winds that we expect tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment