Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Refit Continues

This is the hardest I’ve worked in twenty years.  We wake up at first light at Rob and Renee’s, have breakfast, and head down to the boat.  We work all day putting Van Diemen back together with a break for lunch.  We usually quit for the day just after dark, which is about 8 PM here.  We’ll pick up some take out for dinner, eat at home, have a beer, a shower, and go to bed just after 10 PM.  The only breaks since Lori left on April 4th have been for surgeries on my hand and face.

Sorry there haven’t been any blog posts, but I haven’t had time to write them.  The boat is coming along.  All of the deck stanchions and fittings are installed now except for two halyard winches on the cabin top.  The permanent bimini and barbeque, both critical for quality cruising, are set up.  We’ve fitted the new jib and recut mainsail, and today I installed new padeyes for the three reefs on the boom.  We were hoping to go for a sail tomorrow to test things out, but we had a backstay hydraulic failure yesterday that hasn’t been repaired yet so we’ll see.  We can’t go out without a backstay.


We probably have another week of odds and ends and provisioning before departure.  We shall see.  On Monday I get the stitches out of my face and hand so I’m glad we are still in port for that.  I wasn’t looking forward to having one of the boys take my stitches out at sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment