Monday, October 23, 2017

Time to Go

0630 position 33-38S 151-17E. On a mooring off of Zappa and Marie's house, Scotland Island, Broken Bay, New South Wales, Australia

The weather forecast changed again yesterday, and now it is looking like we have a good opportunity to make it all the way to Hobart in a single jump if we leave today. We called Geoff in Hobart and requested his presence. He arrived at 11PM last night.

We spent most of yesterday provisioning and getting the boat ready to go. Michael pre-cooked a couple of dinners, we got the dinghy engine stowed below, and Rob recovered some of his yachting gear that has been stowed in Zappa's boat house for the last seven years.

I have been having trouble getting my phone to work properly. When I first went to the Telstra store last Friday, I foolishly neglected to bring my passport with me. They couldn't sell me a sim card without it. No problem, Michael volunteered to add me to his account, and cancel it when I leave Australia in a month or so. Within a day voice worked fine, but I wasn't getting any data on my phone which I will need to navigate when Lori arrives. Two more trips to the Telstra store did not improve the situation. Unfortunately, since it was on Michael's plan, he had to deal with them. Yesterday afternoon he spent more than two hours on the phone with Telstra trying to sort it out. We still have no resolution. We will have to dig into it again in Hobart.

Rob's phone still doesn't work either, and he's been in to the Telstra store three times as well. If I was looking to invest in Australian telecommunications stock, I would steer clear of Telstra....

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment