Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Fatu Hiva

0800 Position 10-28S 138-40W. At anchor in the Bay of Virgins, Fatu Hiva.

We spent a few hours yesterday cleaning up the ship, inflating and launching the dinghy, and doing some minor repairs. When we were done, Longy dropped us off ashore and the four of us went looking for the infamous waterfall in the back of the valley. We walked for an hour or so towards the back of the valley before we gave up and turned around. It was a beautiful walk, but we didn't see any signs of a waterfall. I'm zero for two now on my attempts to find it. Alison and I tried to find the waterfall thirty years ago with the same result. I wonder if it really exists?

I got to know Van Diemen pretty well during the time I spent working on her before we departed Newport Beach. My month of labor also earned me first pick on the available ship's bunks that will be my home until we reach Australia. Rob, and Renee when she is aboard, are in the master cabin just forward of the saloon. There is also a guest cabin and a crew cabin forward. I picked the crew cabin. It is smaller than the guest cabin, but I believe it is a better berth when the boat is heeling at sea. So far I have been comfortable there. Bill Barsz is in the guest cabin, and Longy and Mike are in the quarter berths that lie under the cockpit on the port and starboard sides of the boat. The quarter berths themselves are pretty comfortable once you are in them, but it is a pain crawling in and out on hands and knees. The quarter berths are also right next to the engine and generator so it is noisy and hotter than elsewhere on the boat. The heat made the quarter berths especially uncomfortable on our crossing here. Because of their sacrifice, Mike and Longy claimed first dibs on sleeping in the cockpit when we are not at sea. The cockpit seats are plenty long enough, have very comfortable cushions, and are a great place to sleep at anchor as long as it doesn't rain. It must not have rained last night because this morning both Mike and Longy woke up with smiles on their faces.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment