Saturday, May 27, 2017

Manihi Landfall

0800 Position 14-13S 145-51W. Days run 233 miles. 7 miles north of Manihi Atoll

All day yesterday we cooked along at close to ten knots with a double reefed mainsail and full jib. As evening approached the squalls started forming, and all night long we had to deal with the rain, gusts, and wind shifts that came along with them.

Rob decided he wanted fish for dinner last night so I put a lure out yesterday. We never saw anything hit it but when I pulled it in at sunset I found that the skirt had been destroyed. Rob doesn't have any kind of a strike alarm aboard, like the clothes pins we use on Moku pe'a, so unless you are watching you won't be aware of a fish strike. I will bring some of my pin alarms back when I go home for a week next month.

It's my turn to cook tonight, and I want fresh fish for dinner. The lines went out at dawn and we are entering the shallower waters surrounding Manihi Atoll. Stay tuned.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment