Monday, June 26, 2017

New Zealand Wins the Cup!

0800 Position 16-29S 151-46W. On a mooring at the Bora Bora Yacht Club

We had a slow day yesterday after our America's Cup adventure in the morning. Rob and Renee worked on boat projects, Mike read a book, and I played with the computer.

I have a WIFI amplifier that connects to my computer and allows me to pick up weak WIFI signals. The amplifier is particularly important on the boat when we are sitting at anchor and trying to pick up a WIFI signal from a distant shore station. With my amplifier on, I can get a good signal from Bora Bora Yacht Club's WIFI with my computer, but the rest of the folks aboard are not able to pick up the weak club signal with their smart phones. I have read that there is a way to turn my computer into a WIFI hotspot though, so the rest of the crew can connect their phones to my stronger WIFI signal through my computer. I spent a good part of yesterday working on that, but so far have been unable to make it work.

We had another problem to solve as well. Today's final America's Cup race was not going to be broadcast on network television so Lori would be unable to use WhatsApp at home to help us watch it. My lifelong friend David Brown, with whom I've watched every America's Cup final on television since it was first broadcast in 1984, does get the premium cable channel that was showing the final race. David was going to be at home in Hawaii and was going to watch the race, so Lori went over to David and his wife Karin's house this morning to WhatsApp the race to us from there. It was touch and go right up until the start of the race. Lori couldn't get her phone to log on to David's WIFI, so David downloaded WhatsApp to his phone and we got connected about two minutes before the race started. David and I got to watch the America's Cup finals together one more time. The string remains unbroken.

The word had spread throughout the anchorage yesterday here at the Bora Bora Yacht Club that the final America's Cup race was being watched in the club house today, and we had a crowd of about twenty folks gathered around my little Iphone screen. They were all Kiwis though, and they were ecstatic when New Zealand won the final race to take the cup. It was a lot of fun, and the Kiwis were kind to us poor Yanks and didn't rub it in too badly.

This morning just before 5AM Renee heard a strange sound and sent Rob to investigate. He found a Tahitian male standing in a one man outrigger canoe next to the boat trying to steal whatever he could grab on deck. Rob yelled and scared him away. We didn't find anything missing so Rob must have caught him just as he was getting started. The same thing happened the other day to Trevor and Jill, and when I was here on my boat in 2014 an eighty foot cruising boat was ransacked while the crew was out to dinner. It's almost like being at home…

There's nothing holding us here now that the races are over, so we plan to head over to the other side of Bora Bora today. The strong trade winds that we had for a few days have died off and it is a beautiful sunny day.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment