Saturday, July 8, 2017

Coffee

0800 Position 16-49S 150-59W.  Anchored in Avea Bay, Huahine

 

My wife Lori Lloyd gifted Van Diemen with fifteen pounds of Keopu Coffee before we departed California.  Keopu is 100% Kona coffee grown by the Gillette family on the slopes of Hualalai and it is good stuff.  Every morning aboard Van Diemen a ritual takes place in the brewing of the coffee, and there is often discussion on the proper method.  Our new French press came with instructions on how to use it including grinding procedure, proper water temperature, stirring at just the right time after adding the water, and brewing time.  We are getting pretty good at it, but still discuss tweeking our process in pursuit of the perfect cup.  This morning's discussion concerned stirring the mixture after adding the hot water.  Renee said we should stir it gently so we don't "bruise" the coffee.  That's one I hadn't heard before. 

 

We have WIFI here from the hotel, but the signal is poor at this distance.  I brought along a WIFI extender that I've used successfully on my boat in the past, and it is helping improve the signal for me here as well.  It hangs under the boom and is hard wired to my computer at the saloon table.  With the extender on my signal has been great, but the rest of the crew on their phones and computers were struggling with the weak signal from the hotel.  After many days of trying, yesterday I finally figured out how to turn my computer into a WIFI hot spot so the rest of the crew can connect to the internet using my stronger signal. 

 

We are finally getting off of our lazy butts and heading eight miles north inside Huahine's lagoon to the town of Fare today.  We'll do a bit of provisioning there (we are out of beer) and get ready for an early start Sunday on our sail back to Tahiti.


Renee and Rob SUPping in the lagoon



No comments:

Post a Comment