Sunday, July 16, 2017

Working our way West

0800 Position 16-55S 151-26W. At anchor in the lee of Naonao Motu, Raiatea

Rob bought a fat roll of vanilla beans from his friend the farmer and returned to the boat at 10AM yesterday. We put the awning and bicycle away, pulled the hook, and powered down to Fare. Doc, Piers and I dinghied ashore to do a bit of shopping while Rob and Renee drifted offshore.

We bought some vegetables and beer in Fare's well stocked supermarket and Piers bought a dress for his granddaughter from a shop on the way back to the dinghy. Back aboard Van Diemen we hoisted the mainsail and took off for Raiatea.

During the crossing Piers and I were talking about my cruising experiences here, and I realized that over five trips I've spent nearly a full year in total just messing about French Polynesia in boats. I've seen most of the good stuff multiple times, but I don't get tired of it. As I write this the sun is just rising over the horizon and lighting the lush green hillsides of southern Raiatea. It is flat calm, and I can hear the surf breaking on the barrier reef behind me. The boys are talking about boats, as usual, while they are enjoying their morning coffee in the cockpit. I think I could do this forever and not get tired of it.

I did have a new experience yesterday, entering Raiatea's lagoon through Teavamoa Pass at the southeastern end of the island. One of the cruising guides I've always used recommended against using that pass, but the seas were flat, the wind was light, and it was the closest pass to our destination, so we gave it a go. The pass was easy and once through we were right off of Taputapuatea where we anchored.

The boys dinghied ashore so Piers and Doc could have a look at Taputapuatea's magnificent marae, and after returning to the boat we powered down to Naonao Motu at the south end of the island to snorkel and spend the night. I got some great video on my Gopro of the six inches of clearance between the sand bottom and Van Diemen's keel in the Naonao anchorage. I don't think we ever touched the bottom.

Last night after a great dinner of grilled tuna we watched my Dad's hour long movie of his sailing trip around the world in 1939. It was one of the first color movies ever made, and the world was a different place.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment