Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The Explorers

0800 position 17-27S 177-03E. At anchor off of Navandra Island, Fiji

The Van Diemen crew spent yesterday exploring the islands and diving in the lagoon between them. Shortly after breakfast Rob and Renee took off on their SUPs headed in opposite directions. Eric and I took the dinghy into a beach on Vanua Levu that we hadn't explored the day before. I spent a couple of hours looking for fresh water. I was trying to figure out what the goats drink since it doesn't rain here very often. It remains an unsolved mystery. While I was traipsing around in the bushes I came across a number of surveyors tapes tied to trees. Rob reported seeing the same thing on his forays into the island's interior. Perhaps there is some development in the works? Rob is now King of the Mountain since he made it to the top of both peaks on Vanua Levu.

After a short break mid-day I went diving in the lagoon and then hiked the beach on Navandra. I almost got close enough to a baby goat there to grab it. I'm not sure what I would have done with it if I had.

Three of the four boats that were anchored with us our first night here left yesterday and were replaced by three others. This place isn't a secret, but it remains pristine.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment